Acting on behalf of Members

2017 got off to a fast start with some major developments and new issues getting our attention.

European Holiday Home Association
January saw the introduction of monthly conference calls between EHHA Trade Associations members. The aim is

  • to update each other on developments at national level
  • that Carlos and Viktorija of EHHA to update us on latest EHHA activities and EU policy developments.

ISCF Chairperson, Peter Downey, found this to be a fantastic to have access to the extensive international experience. Other members states have already experience and knowledge on many of the issues affecting Irish self-catering which is hugely beneficial.

Commercial Planning Requirement
We are investigating the role for ISCF in addressing the Commercial Planning Requirement for holiday lets.

ISCF new look have commenced work on the ISCF website which should be ready in February. Those of you in attendance at the AGM & Conference 2016 got a preview of the fresh new look.

Recently one of our ISCF members had some concerns about the PSRA which governs all Property Services Providers (PSPs). These are persons involved either in:

  1. The purchase or sale, by whatever means, of any estate or interest in land (including buildings) wherever situated;
    2. The auction of private property other than land;
    3. The letting of any estate or interest in land wherever situated;
    4. The provision of property management services.
    The regulatory environment provides for a comprehensive licensing system covering all PSPs.

The query raised by the ISCF member was whether self-catering holiday rental accommodation falls under the PSRA and if people renting these properties need to hold a PSRA license.

The ISCF contacted the PSRA on behalf of our members and the response was as follows;

Section 3(1)(l) of the Property Services (Regulation) Act 2011 provides:

3.—(1) This Act shall not apply to—

(l) a property service consisting solely of a short-term letting to a person where such letting—

(i) does not exceed or is unlikely to exceed 8 consecutive weeks, and

(ii) is for bona fide tourism or other leisure purposes,

Members of your association who own holiday homes don’t need a license as they are the owners. Regarding agents who act solely on behalf of holiday home owners providing the rental service for their properties. They do not need a license to do the lettings as long as the letting meets the criteria set down in Section 3(1)(l) of the Act.